View Single Post
      01-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Continue vibration - need opinions from other owners

I bought a 2014 X5 50i M Sport last August, ever since I got I have felt vibration through the seat and especially the steering wheel. 33k miles on it.

I initially tried couple wheel balances and road force balances, upon the last trip the tire shop showed me there was movement on one of the wheels.

I had all the wheels checked and they repaired the bends. No change. Figured maybe the wheel company did not balance them right and tried another roadforce balance. They still pointed that there was a slight wobble in the wheel, and I ended up replacing that wheel.

Well, issue still continued and brought it to the dealer for a thorough check of steering rack, bushings, all suspension components and wheel bearings, no issues found.

They also tried roadforce balancing the Bridgestone Dueler RTFs, got the rears to 3/4 lbs of roadforce but could not get the fronts under 20lbs.

They had put those Duelers on when I bought the car and replaced them under warranty with Conti DSW06 (as I need AS tires anyway). They roadforced better, but of course, the damn vibration/bounciness continues.

BMW says they drove other X5s and same this is the behavior of the car, which I have a hard time accepting.

My X5 has the stock suspension and it is a bit bouncy for sure, but the bounciness/wobble/vibration is present at any speed, lower speeds feels like more of a bounce (like a square spot on the wheel), higher speed it turns to vibration, most noticeable at 70-75mph. Happens on any surface, worst when the surface is the smoothest surprisingly.

Any more ideas what could be the cause here, other than buying an after market set of wheels? I read somebody had a casting issue resulting in similar behavior. I have the 20s 469Y wheels.

Tried balancing, roadforce balancing, wheel repair, brand new wheel, bmw checked suspension and new tires and alignment. No change. Ready to lose my mind.
Appreciate 0