View Single Post
      09-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I need to understand oil consumption. My understanding is gaskets and seals and piston rings keep oil out of the pistons. Any oil missing must have seeped in and burned off (pollution, possible damage to emission system, catalytic converters, etc.), or leaked from a gasket.

After 35 years of driving BMW, Benz, Lexus, Volvo, Merkur (yes I had a Scorpio once, and no teasing allowed), Hyundai (first generation Excel, no jokes allowed) and even new red Scirocco (any jokes here and I will show up to your front door), the only times I had oil consumption was related to leaks. I still have a Lexus LX 470 with circa 200k miles and it has never required a top-up of oil. My current CLK500 and the R500 also lose nothing in their 10k service intervals. I had a 190e about 25 years ago that would lose about a quart every 3000 miles or so, due to a leak. Others were repaired for gasket leaks and oil loss stopped.

I am baffled that oil use can be justified, but as I am not a mechanic, I will defer to a good explanation as to what happens to the mysterious disappearing oil.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-03-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0