03-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #54
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
It must be a real PITA to have to take the 6WB out when you want service, what's the service interval like on the petrol engined F15's?

I'm so tempted to get one for myself having seen your images of it and some others from SDRX's M50D that has just been delivered, but mine is leased so hard to justify so I'll just have to wait until my next one.

I even enquired with BMW here in the UK about it but it isn't available from BMW as an official upgrade for mine, it is only available for MY2015 F15's that could have had it from the factory to start with

Would you know if the same problem you have over there would happen here too? Say I upgraded to a 6WB which isn't available for my VIN, would I have to remove it before service even though 6WB is officially available here just not for my VIN. Do BMW lock down their ISTA software systems by VIN?
I think the cost vs benefit issues might kick in? BMW are renowned for obstructing retrofit upgrades and making them economically unattractive. There are many options they would refuse to fit anyway.

My advice would be to wait for the F15 LCI launch probably in 2017 and you'll have access to many new options - possibly a second generation 6WB too.