View Single Post
      10-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
The convex mirrors are not great. But I don't think you've got them positioned optimally.

When I used these convex mirrors, after much trial and error I found the best location for them was not on the distal edge of the side mirror. It was the opposite. I put the small round mirror low on the medial side i.e. the side closer to the driver. Then I angled my side mirrors out as far as they would go so that a car in the adjacent lane would enter my peripheral vision just as it disappeared from the distal edge of the side mirror. I use the regular side mirror and rear view mirror to elminate the blind spots. I used the convex mirror to see the side of the car and anything right next to the car.

Positioned correctly you should not be able to see the side of the car in the side mirrors at all - unless you move your head. Like this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id-blind-spots

The US DOT mirrors suck because drivers have to make a choice: either see the blind spot or see the side of the car. Can't see both.

The Euro mirror are wider angle at the distal edges so drivers can see both the blindspot and the side of the car. The biggest improvement is the driver's side mirror, so if you're only going to get 1, skip the passenger side mirror.
Thx. Good info. I was using the positioning of the oem ones that were mounted
on the new chevy suburban i had rented last week. Those on the Suburban worked good. These cheapo add on ones made the obects too tiny and were actually dangerous as cars were a lot closer than they appeared. Wifey thought the ones i put on her SUV were also distracting. Like the poster below id like to see what the oem wide angle mirror on the drivers side looks like in actual use?

Last edited by expidia; 10-18-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0