07-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #215
elcartero
New x5 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 eDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamanncheese View Post
Hi all, I'm considering getting a used 2017 x5 xdrive40e. Does anyone have an idea on maintenance costs and reliability of the vehicle? The remaining vehicle warranty expires on 12/26/20 and I'm trying to gauge repair and maintenance costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Hi Folks,

Our 16' 40e has had its original warranty expiry and we are considering BMW canada's out-of-warranty warranty extension. The prices are higher than if the vehicle was still under warranty so not sure if it is even worth considering now?

The only issue we've encountered since being out of warranty was a faulty AC. So not sure of longterm reliability out there as the mileage increases. Currently have 99K km so about 62k miles. Here is what we are looking at:

2YR/40,000km = $7,100 cad
3YR/60,000km = $10,200 cad
4YR/80,000km = $14,000 cad

If the 40e only held its value we would be looking instead at another X5, but the depreciation on it is remarkable so we no choice but to keep it longer. Lesson learned..... lease a PHEV/EV for next time!

TIA

The depreciation for the 40e seems brutal. I just bought one that came off lease for less than half of what it probably cost new (though that's prob not accurate # since they likely got the tax rebate for the PHEV/EV)
Appreciate 0