View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Silly tire selection

I'm sorry, I just have to get this off my chest.

Why the heck does BMW (and other lux brands) insist on putting such high performance tires on a truck? I have the M package with 20" rims on my car, and the tires on there are laughable. They look like something you'd put on a Corvette for track day. They are practically drag radials! Now, I know that buying a "sport truck" is already an exercise in contradictions, but, given that lots of people do it (including me), you'd think that the vehicle manufacturers would, at least, put on a tire that's sensible for most of their buyers.

The tires that come with the 20" rims are sensible if you're going to track the truck. Or if you're going to drive it around turns like you stole the thing. Or drag race it. Thing is, a huge amount of these trucks are used for long trips (tires are fine for this, but wear out too quickly), driving through rain (the stock tires aren't great at this, too wide and not nearly enough tread to shed rain effectively), driving on secondary/dirt roads (the 20" tires are very bad for this) or driving in snow (good luck, hope your insurance is paid up).

People (including me) buy the 20" rims because they look good, not because they want to drag race. It seems that the tires that come on this truck are well suited to about 1% of the buying population (those who live in a warm area with low rainfall amounts and like to track/drag their cars), where, another selection would probably hit 80-90% of the buyers (a DWS 4 season tire). People who really like to drive offroad won't be happy, and people who want to track won't be happy, but, those who want to drive their cars through the weather we commonly get in most of the US states would be much more satisfied with a 4 season tire.

I know, I could have ordered 19s. And I can change the tires. It just seems that high performance track tires are kind of a silly choice for a SUV.
Appreciate 0