View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Tough argument, but OP...if BMW had let's say 20x8's on the vehicle all around or didn't run a staggered setup you would complain about them being too narrow, no? I personally love the look of the staggered 20's, and frankly they could be bigger given the size of the wheel wells on these vehicles. If I was to factory order my F15, I could've sworn the online builder gave me an option for Performance All-Seasons. I signed a deal on this vehicle before it left the factory. It has the Pirelli P-Zero RF's...I'm happy with them, very grippy. But yes, we'll see how long they last. I drive 40-45k a year, so this will be a good testament. I will definitely be swapping to winter skins come the fall, which won't be cheap...but hey, you gotta pay to play right?
I'm not upset with the size/profile/width, that's all fine. I just think the rubber choice is silly. Putting max performance summer tires on a 4WD vehicle only makes sense for a very small percentage of users, where, DWS (all season) tires make sense for the vast majority of users. And, because they are harder, all season rubber wears (typically) much less than max performance summer tires. The width is always going to be a problem in bad weather, it's something you'll have to deal with to get the "look", no way around that.

Tires like this make sense for a Corvette that is much more likely to see a track and also very likely to only be driven in favorable conditions (and never offroad). Tires like this on a 4WD truck? Just doesn't seem to be a choice that meets with the reality of how most of these vehicles will actually be used. Especially in the US (where the opportunities to use the extra grip and speed performance of a max/summer tire are limited/non-existent).
Appreciate 0