View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #16
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

All valid points in the discussion above, however I'd allow myself to compare cars with... men, or a man . Now bear with me for a moment here. Assuming you're not a 70 y.o. guy tied to a wheel chair, but rather a mid-aged man, capable of running 5 km a number of days per week prior to gym practice with 200m sprints up to 20 km/h while doing that. And you live in a hot climate, but you work in an environment that requires you to wear a suit. And sometimes, when it's too hot in the city and you want to escape with your family to the woods during the weekend for some hiking, you enjoy those mud-boots you keep for occasions just like that in the back of your closet. I think by now you see where I'm going with this (sneakers vs. classic shoes, gym uniform vs. suit, mud shoes vs. all else).

Same with SUVs technically easily capable of going past 200 km/h. Doesn't mean you do it every day, but if you do - you must be ready. So BMW puts those pair of sneakers for you, because hell, you went for 20 wheels in the first place. And if you like dirt digging, well first - you shouldn't have bought BMW - it's useless off-road; and second - you should have stayed with 19" with a proper set of winter-tires or, for mild climates, all-season ones. Or better yet - have two sets of wheels (I used to when I lived in a different country with winter temperatures going as low as -35). Yes, it would be great if you could spec tire choice when picking rims, but I have a feeling car manufacturers can't accommodate for this just yet (probably because it's not financially viable). We all want the best from both worlds sometimes, but that just can't happen.
Appreciate 0