10-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
BMW bought me out of my 2017 40e X5. The all electric range is rarely as high as stated. When the battery is depleted, you are driving around in a small 2.0 4 cylinder engine. Now, being fair....the 4 cylinder engine in the 40e is surprisingly peppy, but it sounds like shit IMO! I think it's crazy to spend over $70k for a 4 cylinder engine in a big, heavy SUV. If the battery was bigger/lasted longer then we would not have to rely on the small, little 4 banger....but TRUST me, even for short distances you will be using the gas engine, more than the battery. Also, 40e resale values are rubbish
Since the 40e is large and heavy, the 4 cyl. engine has to work hard, and I found mpg to be not great at all. BMW got me into a 2017 X5 xDrive 35d and I easily travel 500+ miles per tank, up to 600 miles easily on the highway. You will NEVER get this with the 40e.
That's your experience but mine is completely different.

I get 6 to 700 miles per tank and drive in emote and use the engine just fine.

The battery never depletes fully so when you need the boost the electric motor kicks in and your gone.

I came from a 35i and love the 40e more and more!

We work 6 miles from home and drive to michigan once a month.

We go over a month without refueling and sometimes drive on electric only all weekend.

It's great and don't have to worry about diesel costing you an arm and a leg later in it's life when it needs a full makeover.

The batteries are good for 20 years and even after 20 years they retain 75% of their full charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if their would be a way later to replace the batteries with bmw's upgraded batteries with longer range. As their the same as the i3 and I8

Overall it's a great ride and don't feel it's underpowered at all.

Everyone's expectations are different and some will never be pleased.

Give it a try.

I have no regrets.

Also the fact you can have it heat up out in the cold parking lot with your phone like an auto start is also a big plus. And when you set your departure time in the morning for work you walk out to a cooled or heated cabin. Again a big plus.

Also don't forget you get to take advantage of all the ev special parking in crowded parking lots.
Appreciate 0