W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdirectory View Post
Hi W37V,
Just had my X5 2014 F15 come up with the AdBlue system fault, i tried an OBD reader which gave me 2C3000, it also would not clear.

I am not a mechanic but know my way around a computer, I was tempted to get the ISTA+ software and run a test plan and get some more codes before returning to the main dealer / local garage.

I fear from your thread this could be expensive!

I think I found thew two diagrams with the NOX sensor and SCR metering unit

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...73#18308514448

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...38#13628576471

Do you think it is worthwhile doing the ISTA+ test plan?

BMW main dealer have said they would need to do this before they would work on the car! That is £162.
There was another thread from another UK user who experienced the same issue. From my understanding, in UK your car will continue to run and you will not have countdown error. So, you don't have to worry too much about running out of miles before your car becomes a brick.

With that said, you can download ISTA+. You will need a cable (very cheap), so if you have a comp you can use, the whole setup should cost you less than $20. I would recommend running a test. It doesn't hurt. It will pinpoint where the error lies.

However, I must warn you... if you take your car to the dealership, they have to follow the procedure:
1. Test DEF (AdBlue) - this test will most likely show that you have "excess" water in the system and will require you to flush the system before they can proceed. BMW wanted to charge me over $800 for it, but you can do it yourself for less than $5 (get some hose). However, bad def is unlikely.
2. Once they perform #1, they will run the test you mentioned. Test last ~1 hour and tests various sensors which will likely pinpoint where the issue is. However, this is just rough estimate as to where to go next. So, the test might say that your nox sensor is bad, but in reality it could be your metering unit.

My advice - if you want, perform the test. However, your issue is most likely the front Nox sensor. Unfortunately, I was not able to find an aftermarket alternative, so you will need to get one from BMW. Nox sensor costs about $300, so you paying diagnostic fee will cost you as much as the part itself that you will most likely need to get anyways. I would just clean the metering unit and swap out the front nox sensor. To be on the safe side, you can flush your adblue (def). None of this is difficult. It will take you longer to remove all the plastic bits than to actually swap out the sensor and empty the def tank.
Appreciate 2