edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Castrol is also making specific BMW oils.
There is Russian web site oil-club.ru where they tested bunch of TPT stuff. Completely different from Helix. More PAO, less GTL.
Any chance you spreken zi ruski, any section i should read specifically? I can speak abit, but reading is, well lets not go there. So it would be via translate.

One thing that I do find interesting, is that they definitely are doing allot of interesting things over there, especially with the S63s/X5M/M5s.

Just trying to understand the convo between you and Blue over the last couple of days, going through that M2 thread, and am very quickly realizing that I am an idiot. Well that's not a new discovery.

So would you say there is any value in looking at these youtuber/roller tests? Or am I just going full-retard.
No I don't speak Ruski, though I know Cyrillic. Google translate does pretty decent job.

Forget roller tests. That was gimmick and now used by YouTube people to get attention.
Approvals is what matters. You want oils that have MB229.5 approval. That is most comprehensive approval in industry. It has toughest deposit requirements and toughest evaporation loss requirements (Noack: up to 10%). Than oil that in addition to that approval has Porsche A40. That is in 40 grade. Porsche has specific track test where they simulate 8hrs on Nordschleife on oil test rig.
Then BMW LL01. BMW has most stringent oxidation requirements. Now, in S63 it is really not necessary to go LL01, but definitely want to stick to MB229.5.
Now, some manufacturers cannot get approvals (Redline Performance series) as their oils are too speciality oriented and might not meet oxidation or fuel economy requirements. They are made for track use basically. Then you have various oil blenders (Liqui Moly has some oils like that) which claim their oil meets or exceeds those requirements (let's say Triax oils). But, they are made for street use, utilizing regular base stocks where oxidation shouldn't be an issue or deposits etc. Yet, they are not approved. One of the most widespread lies about oils is that approvals are too expensive and these oil companies don't want to pay what they claim to be extortion. Reality couldn't be further from that. When I worked on testing of VW504.00/507.00 oil, VW charged company $4,000 for approval.
Oils that have European approvals are toughest oils in industry. Pick up any oil that has MB229.5 approval and you are having something very sophisticated in the sump. Now, debate is between good and REALLY good oils here. It is like buying X5. You can buy. X5 5.0i and be fastest on the road or you can buy X5M and be again fastest on the road, but, there is quite difference between two.

Porsche oil test rig simulating Nordschleife (you have to watch it on YouTube):

Appreciate 1
Chilled365.00