View Single Post
      10-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Its definitely dripping, I put some cardboard under the truck and its spotting. I'm going to try to place a small glass jar under it when I get home today to see how much fluid is actually dripping.

I will see if I can reach the tranny dipstick. If it is the one I think it is its pretty far down in there, not nearly as easy to access as the oil one. edit: I didn't see any plastic caps under the truck.

Any ideas on the level of effort to replace the axle seal, if that's what it is? How much of my brand new truck are they going to have to disassemble to fix it?
They'll pull wheel off remove axle nut, may disassemble brake and then loosen pop off some suspension bolts and joints, shift out axle - may bang it out or use a dedicated pry tool, then use a pick to pull out seal and lubricate and reassemble. Even if they replace the transmission it's rather simple and clean. It's not a very difficult job and it's quick.

If it is an axle seal, it just means it probably didn't seat properly on assembly, even if its a pan seal, just didn't seat properly - not a big deal.
Appreciate 0