View Single Post
      10-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

That's hardly an option for most people watrob.

As I mentioned in a recent thread, I've just purchased an m50d which I'm expected delivery of within the next week or so.

I've been toying back and forth on the 50i vs 50d. I'm coming out of an Audi SQ5 which is a much sharper car (more sedan like), but it too has the artificial sound. However with the SQ5 they've done it right by piping the sound inside as well as outside - and doing it right. It sounds awesome.

In the end the deal I've got pushed me to the 50d. It's important to note however that I'm getting a 50d for 50i money which in the case of Australia, has a 10k difference at rrp.

I drove both back to back again today, and the M suspension, dynamic dampers and m servtronic steering in the m50d make a considerable difference to the driving feel and feedback.

You can't escape the sound of the diesel however - it doesn't sound pretty at all. When I heard the V8 50i again today, it made me consider switching. Common sense wins out however and the 50i will have a shocking resale in comparison - at least in Australia.

So to stick OT, if there was an exhaust that made the sound better, I'd be interested, but I'm not too sure what one could do aside from adding drone and mixing it with the turbo diesel sound.

The drive of the 50i is very different also - it has so much more atmosphere and theatre in the cabin, but they're both seriously quick. Drive the 50d in M to get the most out of it.
Appreciate 0