View Single Post
      08-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
edpm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8, 2021 X5 M50i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Even if I have the active harness with brake controller plug do I still need to cut into the wiring? I did look at the remote unit you listed. I won't tow that much so would like the cheaper option.
Are you talking about a separate plug just for an electric brake controller, or the round, 7-pin receptacle under the vehicle that comes with the Invisihitch? The round 7-pin receptacle is for the plug from the trailer. That's where the trailer gets its power for lights and brakes, but you still need a brake controller unit or handset in the cabin. The controllers are normally hardwired into the vehicle, unless you have a wireless controller like the Prodigy RF. If your harness already has with a dedicated connector for an electric brake controller, that's great, but I've never heard of a BMW having that before.

I think the least expensive route if you need electric brakes is to find someone who has wired an electric brake controller into a late-model BMW and have them do it. I'm not brave enough to do it myself.
Appreciate 0