05-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #91
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
If you are looking for something different how about a Dodge Durango srt? They come out at the end of this year rumored to be around 70k. Basically a stretched cherokee chasis, 6 seater, full leather including dash, alcantara headliner, brembos, 20's, 6.beast hemi, awd, touch screen, variable shocks. I never ever thought I would go American (have only ever owned BMW's), but that is my plan. Have been through 4 X5's and I just can't handle the F15's at all. I'm thinking the srt durango will be a perfect no f*cks given suv that can handle family life without me having to stress over it. Go to the beach, father-in-laws farm, camping, etc. Plus rumored 4ish to 60 and suspension dynamics supposedly tuned at VIR. If nothing else it will have character.

I don't think I can justify 70k for Durango. I am sure it's amazing but if you want versatility you can easily spend half of that and still be able to do most of those things, just without the appearance of luxury. Don't get me wrong, I actually had a long adjustment period after I moved from Jeep to X5 over 6 yrs ago. Most people don't realize how indirect X5 feels when it comes to acceleration and steering no matter how sporty you make it, it just feels disconnected. Sure, Chrysler/now-Fiat SUVs are not as comfortable or snappy, but that low end torque and the low gear are amazing toys to have, not to mention crazy turning radius. I don't know how much of those characteristics are retained in recent models, but I still have a soft spot for Jeep/Dodge.