View Single Post
      09-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #102
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Did mine yesterday. 60k miles with chain slop, but not as much as the OP, and I tightened it. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Some notes:

1. The long reach 8mm to tighten the chain tension didn’t work for me. I used a regular one with a long 3/8 extension.
2. The torque specs for oil pan bolts in F85s were slightly different from what the OP used in his E70 (per newtis) - they are a straight 27Nm. The tightening sequence does not have to be criss-cross either, you can do it in a sequence.
3. The zip tie method to hold the gasket in place was pure genius!

I followed this up with a front differential oil change. Unlike the F15 video from fcpeuro, the F85s have a metal coolant pipe running across, limiting access to the fill plug. Turned out to be a massive PITA to remove the fill plug (dropped the low profile 14mm socket into the surrounding plastic shrouds twice). I later figured out removing a couple of bolts of the plastic shroud behind the front wheel provided much easier and direct access to the fill plug using a long socket extension. I was able to torque the plug to spec as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Upurock47.00