View Single Post
      04-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #62
mattsnow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

electric heating or electric-augmented heating

This tech seems pretty cool to me. Mating a torq-ey electric motor with a hydrocarbon motor makes sense from a performance standpoint, and all things being equal, I'd rather burn less fuel than more. This tech could also enable something that I think could be very useful - electric heating or electric-augmented heating. In my opinion, one of the least comfortable times with any car is getting in it when it is very cold. Electric seats just don't seem nearly enough when it is below zero F. You sit there watching engine temp gauge rise all too slowly, waiting for some warm air for the cabin. It would be much better if the car has electric (instant on) heat for the cabin. This could be accomplished with all-electric HVAC or, in what I would call electric-augmented heating, an electric heater could be installed in the heater core so the the car can supply electric heat initially and then switch over to waste heat from the engine when that warms up.

This car is advertised as being able to run in all electric mode for the first 20 miles. Does anyone know how the car heats the occupants in all-electric mode? Does this mean that it will have some sort of electric HVAC system? Does this mean instant heating upon turning on the car? If so that would be very desirable.
Appreciate 0