View Single Post
      04-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I clay at least once a year and then use Iron-X to maintain six months later. I try to give the car an application of a good sealant once every couple of months but I don't stress to much about it since it's a high mile daily driver.

Lately I've taken to using a spray on/spray off paint sealant (not the same as a touch up spray detailer) as my last step product because it's damn easy and I'm not too concerned about getting an ultra-deep concours-level shine.

My X5 is mineral white so I jut focus on good wash hygiene and don't worry too much about polishing.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the X5's paint with polishing, etc. Claying is probably a necessity if it hasn't been done before due to the mileage. Keep the clay or mitt lubricated and don't reuse the clay if you drop it, etc. and the risk of damage is close to zero. Polishing is a different story - you only need to get that done if there are enough swirl marks on the car to annoy you.

Above all else, follow the traditional detailer rules of thumb...use the least aggressive product possible to get the job done and try to minimize 'touches' to the car during the detailing process.
Appreciate 1