01-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc328ci View Post
I've played around with it a few times and it seems that when I open the door to get out, i rev the engine before coming out the car and it stays on, a gentle tap not slamming it down. sounds silly but give it a try and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
It's not the key, the ignition shuts off when the driver's door is opened and the seatbelt unbuckled. There are 2 ways to keep the X5 40e ignition on and exit with the key:

With the car ignition on, car in Park and Parking Brake on:

1) Without opening the driver's door, unbuckle the seat belt. Route the belt behind your back and plug it back into the receptacle. Leave the seatbelt buckled. Driver can open the driver's door and exit the car with the key. The car ignition will stay on in hybrid mode. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

2) Without opening the driver's door, press the accelerator pedal. The ICE will start up. Driver can unbuckle the seatbelt and open the driver's door and exit the car with the keys. The car ignition and ICE will stay on. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

This is also how the car can be handed off to an auto car wash attendant so they can put it in Neutral to ride the conveyor. If either 1 or 2 is not performed, when the driver exits the car, the ignition will automatically switch off and the car will automatically shift into Park (whether the key is inside or outside the car) and potentially jam the conveyor.
Thanks for tips. I tried to rev the engine as well as played with the option#2. All works.

But, let's assume I'm doing the auto car wash, I let the engine idle, exit the car, the auto wash guy then enters and drives it up to the position, most likely the ICE will shut off after he exits... Actually I don't care if the ICE is on or off, I just like to ensure the auto wash guy knows he needs to step on the brake and push the button again in order to move forward if ICE is off. He has to pay attention to that "READY" sign... Just do not shut off my ignition.

Note: I know another way is not to do the auto wash...
Appreciate 0