01-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
best bet is to just get in and start driving.
driving the car warms up the engine way faster than just idling. and long idling just isnt good for an engine. soot can build up in combustion chambers and exhaust. cylinder walls can get glazed, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I am afraid driving away not an option when the screen covered in ice, plus with the Hybrid e40 its the electric engine on 1st so no combustion until you hit around 40 mph. because the engine running is possible with my diesel F10 with the key out as well as our previous X3, I thought this is specific to the Hybrid model and how it always start with only the electric engine on providing of course it is charged.
40e engine doesn't immediately kicks in during your regular start. You may drive all the way to your destination without using the ICE at all. And your engine will stay cold from the beginning to the end.

I know the current engine has been very advanced and can tolerate no-warm-up driving during the normal speed and acceleration. But, with 40e, sometimes you may have ICE kicks in right in the middle of the highway acceleration or uphills, and your ICE will directly hit the high RPM.

I'm not the guy knowing the engine enough, so, my old fashion way is usually to enforce my ICE kicking in during my start for 10-seconds or longer depending on the temperature outsides. I just want to make sure the engine oil can circulate and lubricate before my drive.
Appreciate 0