View Single Post
      11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

OP, as a BMW fan and a former owner of a 2011 JGC Overland w/ the Hemi, I'll provide you with my point-of-view. The JGC is in the same class assuming your criteria is for a SUV/SAV with room for five passengers. Beyond that the vehicles are very different.

The key feature with a Jeep is the ability to travel off-road with a vastly better 4WD system vs. xDrive. This can be an advantage both on and off-road. However the offset is a a vehicle with a high-center of gravity and tires with tall sidewalls which negatively impacts dry weather handling and braking. Even with the Hemi the vehicle is slow. Though I believe the performance is better with the new 8-speed transmission. The materials and fit & finish, while good for a Jeep, are behind that of the E70 X5.

In the (near) 2-years and 40k miles of ownership, I only had one problem. That was with a drivers side mirror which was replaced under warranty. Even the paint was free of any rock chips. Fuel economy was bad at 15 mpg. I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a driver in a F350SD with a 24' trailer (he was texting). Slight damage to the tailgate and that was it.

I would give the edge to the X5 for on-road performance, materials, dealer service and comfort. Back then I was able to buy it for $39.5k USD. I sold it within 48 hrs for $33k. To me, this represented a great value. However the new Summits are ranging in the low to mid 50's. Take one for a test drive but I suspect you'll opt for the X5. The X5 is on my list for replacing my wife's current vehicle sometime next year.

If you do opt for the Jeep, sign-up for 3-year membership with Tread-Lightly. The cost is $60. After one month you'll have access to Chrysler's AffiliateRewards program. You'll be able to buy the Jeep at 1% under invoice less any current rebates.
Appreciate 0