View Single Post
      08-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
Hi all, I recently added an F15 35d to my stable. The E39 M5 was great when I was working from home and only driving 1-2 days/week, but life changes and something more practical was necessary (the M5 stays for weekend fun!). It's a 2017 35d with the M Sport package, Carbon Black, and very little else.

The car came with two sets of OEM Style 469 wheels, both in black. One set has the OEM Pirelli RFT summer tires, the other has OEM Pirelli RFT winter tires. On both sets I can really feel the unsprung weight of these large wheels and heavy tires. They thwack over sharp objects like expansion joints, and on uneven surfaces at speed I can notice the suspension struggling to dampen the wheel motions. I'm considering going with a set of Style 449 19" wheels and non-RFT tires to reduce unsprung weight, add some sidewall, and improve ride and NVH.

Has anyone done something similar and can share your experience/impressions? Thanks!
The 19's definitely ride smoother. Which is expected. I'm not sure the "feel" of the weight is improved very much. The N57 has grunt for sure, but it feels more refined than the M57 so doesn't generate the seat hug under hard accel the old diesels did.

Though, with the adaptive suspension, and in sport mode... the N57 feels just fine in ours. And the ZF 8 spd vs out old ZF 6 with the E70 brings a welcome boost in economy.

Sorry, not sure if that helped at all. But yes, smoothness and civility is much improved on the 19's. Acceleration... not sure you'd notice much difference.

Were you closer, I'd let you test the difference and possibly trade you our 449s for the 20s. I am running them on the E70 currently but prefer the look of the 20s. Our F15 is running 20s as well.
Appreciate 0