View Single Post
      02-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #21
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Well. woke up to find out that a version of this post I posted in the "General" BMW discussion area had become a front page "featured" article here. Needless to say, my inbox is flooded and am struggling to keep up. But, I got a very interesting chip-maker note.

BR Performance contacted me. Company states they are the first to have cracked BMW ECU's (Bosch computers), and that enabled AMS Performance to tune the MCLAREN & the new M3/M4/M5/M6. That is a big claim and worth noting. They provided this link, a thread that was also featured: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066353
Cracked the BMW ECU? Through experimentation? Compared to Dinan who actually works with BMW, I know who I would support. Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting Dinan. I am trying to make a point comparing the two.

The link is a better discussion on the use of dyno's rather than the tune itself.

I read the post and it seems like they are an independent shop trying to crack ECU's - there are plenty of these out there. And good for them - I was one of them but using a different ECU rather than trying crack the Porsche DME/ECU. I am in Belgium a couple times a year and might stop by to see what they are doing. But I don't think they are in the same category as the other chip makers and the one tuner you already list.

Again, good job on your hard work. Maybe you'll want to add independent shops to your list for those who don't mind getting involved with experimenting.