01-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #102
athanyel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGeorge View Post
Me and my wife researched diesel SUVs for about six months and decided on the X5d after the Porsche Cayenne got wrapped up in the VW scandal. We really felt that the X5d was the perfect vehicle for us with the versitility of a 3rd row option, decent fuel efficiency and towing capability, so it was very reluctantly that I decided to go with the 40e and the trade offs that come with it. One of the major factors I took into considerstion when getting the 40e was the claimed EPA 56 mpge. Someone has to show me how they came up with that figure! We've tried driving in all the different modes in city and highway conditions to figure what would be the best formula for getting a decent mpg and we have been able to acheive 25 mpg best so far. It is virtually impossible to charge the battery via driving alone and the vehicle doesn't seem to do a very good job of balacing betweenn gas and electric motors. It seems that if there is any charge in the battery it will run on electric until the batteries are completely drained then switch to the gas engine, which gets horrible mpgs for a 4 cylinder. I'm hoping this is just a factor of the vehicle being new and that it will improve with time. I am still pissed at BMW for not imforming customers that the diesel model is delayed and the specifics as to why it is delayed. It all seems very shady to me.
I took the 40e out for an extended test drive last weekend and the regeneration was one of the big items I focused on.

Since I don't have a charger at home yet, I was having to rely upon the vehicle to charge itself or finding a chargepoint station when I was out. After digging through the forums and the manual, I opted to set the DDC to Sport and the eDrive button to Save. From driving alone, I was able to recharge the battery from 32% at home to 59% after driving across Austin in weekend traffic. Gas mileage was definitely affected though. I averaged 21 MPG for that recharge.

For me, the allure right now is that I have a really short commute and can charge it at work (eventually at home too!). For most folks though, definitely ask the dealer for an extended test drive. It's worth it to figure out if the eDrive will work for you...or if you should just get the diesel.

Has anyone done performance delivery of a 40e or know if the fleet at Spartanburg includes a 40e?
Appreciate 0