Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut780 View Post
Sure maybe once you start adding options you can narrow the gap. I'm also not in the US but the difference in base price is $10K in the USA and $12K in Canada. My only point is that the 35i/35d is a fair comparison as they are only $1500 apart. Bringing the 50i into it is not really a good comparison between similarly priced vehicles.
The point I was trying to make was not comparing 50 with 35...
I was trying to make a point that, you don't choose 35i over 35d just because of $20 difference...because you can easily make up for that delta with your fuel costs...

The hesitation would have been more relevant if you are choosing between lower consumption vs. more power...in that scenario, if someone wants to get more power, then the $10k or $12k would be the gap to fill in...then we are talking about a real selection and debate...
If I definitely wanted more power, then 50 would be the selection and I would have had to deal with the delta...if consumption was a key factor, then 35d...I still do not see why someone would want to go for 35i...that's my point. The only two advantages of 35i at this very point are that 1) 35i can be ordered right away if you don't want to wait,...two months from now, that's no longer an advantage and 2) you get a better acceleration; but that's easily offset with the torque you get from a 35d...
Disadvantage of 35i: way higher consumption...and more pollution...and yes...I do care...

Last edited by Shaw; 12-13-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0