View Single Post
      10-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I had a chance to test drive the 50i today, it is really where all engine & transmission improvement shines. Not to say 35i is slow (that's what I ordered anyway) but 50i has a great rumble yet it's quiet inside the cabin.

However, the turbo sound is almost completely gone. I don't know the technical term (the spray-like sound) but that turbo release that I hear on a daily basis on E70 is almost gone, I tried with the windows down, I still cannot hear it.

The steering is light and sadly less responsive. I drove 750Li, 550xi and 5xx D, 335i, X6 (2014) and F15 was the one that had the least responsive steering. 5 series still has a lot of body roll but it suddenly disappears when you put it on Sport, not so much with F15.

Other than somewhat higher steering wheel position even at lowest position, annoying horn delay and mechanical turn signal relay clicker, rest is pretty good. I love the BMW Gadgets, pictures, street view, weather all are excellent additions to an already great entertainment system. A/C is really weaker than F15, additional memory buttons (i believe 2 more) is a welcome addition.
I agree with what you noted as well. The one thing though for me that is different is the turbo wisp. After I upgraded with my RaceChip tune, the wisp is very apparent and the growl of the 50i can be heard much more in Sport mode. You hear it also in Comfort mode at higher RPMs, but I didn't really test it that much in Comfort mode.