10-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #37
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
My 2003 X5 4.4i E53 drives better than the F15 35i I tested. The turbo V6 is really laggy and does not have enough thrust as my old V8 naturally aspirated engine. The steering is loose and not as direct as my old X5. The F15 does not react to the slightest movement of the steering wheel. You have rotate the wheel a lot to get the E70 to turn, really disappointing. Though parking is easier with F15 due to light steering. The E53 is much sportier to drive, but you if you like newer tech then the F15 is for you.

The F15 does have a nicer interior with leather dash and softer seats, but it felt big and heavy like a truck whereas the E53 felt more like a sports wagon. It does ride better than E53, but the new X5 is too focused on comfort than sport.

E53 is a sports car whereas F15 is a luxury cruise ship. I feel rather cold and bored when driving the F15. There is no V8 soundtrack, nor instant response when you floor the throttle or take a sharp turn.
I don't think you are being fair comparing 3.0 v6 with 4.4 v8.
Also my E70 never had instant response with throttle and I think I was able to adjust my driving style to expect the lag and in most cases I drove in sport mode with low gears anyway, so I hope to be right at home with F15. I will probably miss the nice steering, though.