Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
But the narrative that crime is increasing because budgets for police are being cut is usually not true...could be in some cases....

Pew research is a reasonable non partisan source.
I'm not sure how one could defend that decreasing police budgets has no impact on crime surge or somehow equates to less crime.

For Pew, they are referencing crime data based on a Federal Survey....If you skip Pew and go to the FBI and view their National Incident-Based Reporting, you will find that they themselves admit that their data is not complete because it requires the participation of cities to report. Many cites don't disclose for various reasons including for politics (don't make our state look bad).

ON TOPIC: I think there are multiple factors feeding the thirst for CAT theft (economy, police enforcement, theft classification, precocious metal content, buyers not requiring proof of title etc.). It's a shame and very peculiar that suddenly CATs, which have been around for decades, are suddenly fashionable to steal....
I did not say that! I said the following:

1. The data is all over the place and people can use any data that suits their narrative when it comes to crime.

2. Some data like funding levels for police is easier to verify.

3. So, when someone claims that crime is going up because funding is going down. One can verify if the funding is actually going down. The data I posted for Houston showed that funding went up in 2022 driven by Federal funding for law enforcement.

I was not making a political argument. I was just stating the facts that can be verified.

How did you infer that I said that reducing police funding is leading to reduced crime? I never made that claim. You are trying to say something I did not say to discredit what I was actually saying. Not sure if that was deliberate or ignorance.
Appreciate 0