10-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #118
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Rx View Post
Yes, you nailed it on the head. Same thing happened to me, being a new bmw purchaser. The dealer does not have any allocation spots to build your car. They will make you wait until their allocation comes in and they can actually put the order in. I got my order number 3-4 weeks after i actually placed the order. You will be waiting even longer for the car.
That's what I'm afraid of, I'm not sure they can even submit an order without an allocation. So either he's lying when he says it's "in," or it is possible the system takes until the order gets to "Order Accepted" status to generate the number. If that's the case, it is possible he can submit it and not have the number yet. On previous BMW's (this is my 5th order, 4th since everything could be tracked on-line), I don't remember not getting the production order number right away, but I could just be less patient this time

Edit: just looked back at some old emails from when we ordered our X3. In that case, and I think in every other car I've ordered except my 335, the salesman was able to modify an existing order, so maybe that's why they were able to give the production order number right away.. My 335 was a different animal, as that one they had to trade with another dealer to get the allocation in the first place, so I don't recall exactly how long it took to get the production order number from when he actually got the allocation and put the order in. That was also wrapped around Hurricane Sandy timeframe, so it got all screwed up.

So I guess he gets the benefit of the doubt for now. I need to take the X3 in to get something fixed anyway, so may pop in his office to get more details, maybe try and get a VIR, as if the order is truly in, I think he should be able to get me that regardless of the number being assigned.

Last edited by chrisny; 10-24-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0