View Single Post
      04-23-2024, 03:42 PM   #2
djrafacz
Rep
Drives: 15 X5 s35i 00 528iT

DIY - Budget BBK with G Series front and X5M Rear Install

Now comes the fun part. Mounting them up.

FRONT

Take the wheel off. Take the caliper off. Take the brake rotor off. Clean your hub if you please.

Now remove your shield. 4 10mm bolts hold it on.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  319.0 KB

I just chose to trim off the small connecting part and then bent the top and bottom of it out of the way. You can trim the top and bottom if you please as well.

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  706.3 KB

Bolt up the shield and bolt up the rotor.

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  347.0 KB

I would spread your caliper pistons to their fullest extent at this point. You can swap your lines over at this point as well. Now you need to prepare the bolts. It will go Bolt | Knuckle | Washer | Caliper. It's a little tricky. Finally bolted up!

Name:  f4.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  491.7 KB

Install the pads, try to line up the “hooks” with the caliper holes.

Name:  f5.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  443.3 KB

Place the spring between the pads, hold it with one hand and install pin 1. It should slide most of the way in and leave just a nub at the end. Flex the spring with one hand and install pin 2, it should slide most of the way in and just leave the nub. Hammer it the rest of the way in.
Pins go in from the back. It goes Caliper | Pad | Spring | Pad | Caliper.

Name:  f6.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  466.8 KB

DONE!

REAR

Retract your parking brake with any tool of your liking. I had BimmerLink handy so that is what I used.
Unbolt your wheel. Take off your caliper. Take off the rotor. Time to trim the shield.
I flattened some sections and cut off the rest. Basically the lip has to come off. It bolted between the hub and knuckle, so cut it on the car.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  354.8 KB

Bolt up your rotor.

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  243.9 KB

Install the caliper, reuse your old bolts.

Bleed your brakes. Rear passenger, rear drivers, front passenger, front driver. We bleed the front outer half first and then the inner half. I had a friend with a power bleeder help with this.

REAR IS DONE TOO!
Appreciate 2