04-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #43
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Here's the hill between my house and the office. First shot is looking downhill into the valley below from the halfway point. Second shot is looking uphill. The uphill part shallows out a bit at this point, but it continues up for a few hundred yards past the bend. Start to finish is about 2000 ft in length and I'm guessing about a 200-250 ft gain in elevation. Maybe a tad more. This is going to take some getting used to.

I see the highest point in FL is 312 ft, so yeah, you don't have to deal with hills like this, Mr. T.
We've got some hills just north of my house in San Antonio / Brooksville area. This is an elevation profile of one of my rides out there. That's over a 54 mile span with a total gain of 2641 ft.

While i was at it, i took some screenshots to show you the main data points you get with a Garmin device and Garmin Connect. Data below is from the ride posted above.

One thing that isn't obvious are the small grey icon circles under the picture of the Garmin device used to record this data. That's the pieces of gear i assigned to this ride. It's pretty handy when you want to keep track of how many miles you've put on certain things. I have all of my bib shorts in there to keep track of usage along with wheels, pedals, shoes, bike components, etc.... It's also useful to set times for maintenance and replacement of certain wear items. Everything else is pretty self explanatory. One of the things that changed with an update that i don't get is the Time vs Moving time. I get elapsed time (this one was much longer because the wife went down with a flat so we hung out until someone picked her up) but i don't get the difference between Time and Moving Time.

I swear, i won't get a commission if you guy a garmin. But i wish someone would have explained a lot of this to me early on so i could have saved a few hundred bucks buying the right computer first.

M_Six16963.50