View Single Post
      09-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Maybe it's time for a second career?

Been in the healthcare field since 2005 and was thinking of changing careers. Recently, work has been really demanding and the stress that our jobs (spouse also in same field) cause makes me feel that it's not even worth it. Don't get me wrong, we get paid fairly well, get the flex time we ask for (most of the time) and have had mostly good management from the higher ups (there've been bad apples but most were good managers, not MICROmanagers). The past two months I've been sick due to stress and now the wife also had a similar thing. So it just made me ponder on this more.

In this light, I always think of ways to get out of this wheel. I feel that I want to start a business (for which capital I can save for) or even be in a completely different field (I fear that pay will be less but hey, had a very simple life growing up and so did the wife). I just feel lost sometimes and hopeless that we will be stuck and become unhappy due to this. Thankfully our son evens things out in the home and as much as possible we make the most of when we are w him and NOT think about work at all. It works, but then again, here I am always thinking of what else is out there. I've always dreamt big for myself and my family...

Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong field as I'm more right brained (I think) than left. Example, I was supposed to go into design school rather than science school in university but growing up w a parent in healthcare kind of steered me towards that and also because I did well starting out, so I figured, maybe it was the right thing to pursue at the time. Now I'm having second thoughts about that moment...

Some notes: we're both immigrants from SE Asia. Went to school there, moved here within the last 10years and acclimated very well here as we were both raised in the city much like where we are now.

I'm not looking to get advice but just sort of start a conversation. Not looking to get flamed (though this is the internet and people are mean sometimes). Maybe I should be a stay at home trader or something (always interested in investing) or own my own biz and be my own boss. Anyways, thanks for this opportunity to just voice this one out.
Appreciate 0