View Single Post
      09-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I don't know what you do in health care or if your skills can be used elsewhere, but after 20+ years in academia (after the US Army and a bunch of other fields), I have to say that academia has lots to offer. I could make considerably more in the private sector, but the perks in academia (like good insurance policies, tons of vacation time, flexible hours, and for me, working at the same school as my wife), make the idea of leaving for more money elsewhere a non-starter. There are high stress jobs in academia, of course, but the general atmosphere is not high stress unless you're a new prof trying to get tenure.

I'm currently sort of a technology advisor. When a professor or department needs to solve a tech problem, be it big or small, they come to me. If I can't fix it myself, I bring together the folks who can and get it done. My job is therefore seldom the same from day to day. There's always something new to work on. My undergrad degree is in geology, so you can see how far from that I am. My graduate degree is in technology management, but most of what I know and use I learned well before I got that degree. The key is being able to adapt your skills for new challenges. I think it's a lot easier to do that in academia because the pressure to produce a profit is not there (unless you're in recruiting and admissions).

Just browse the job openings at some schools in your area. See if something catches your attention and matches your skill set.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50