09-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong I like the good things in life, house (which I still don't have), a nice car, health, happy son and a comfortable, stress-free (nonexistent) life, but I just think that where I am now will not make me genuinely happy. Maybe Im just a man who isn't ever contented, and my spouse keeps me in check on this one.

Not to divulge too much, my work is in rehabilitation therapy. Hospitals, outpatient clinics now home-based care, I've been there. This field is pretty varied and I admit I am an old-school guy who is in a very competitive field. My patients love me, but the pressure to meet numbers, Medicare changes we have to abide by, productivity, those weigh me and this field down. Unless you work for yourself, you're pretty much at the mercy of managed care and Medicare/aid rules. Pretty sad system to be honest. I'm originally from a country where most patients paid out of pocket, minimal insurance (at the time I left) and NO Medicare. Yes, most can't afford VERY good care, but it doesn't mean there aren't any places that offer basic care. Just don't expect your hospital room to be like a hotel. But I've always believed that this field is first and foremost, for the patient, the one who needs the care. It's all about what the patients say, and NOT numbers or if I was able to meet Medicare criteria to be able to say that I "did" my job. Sadly, and most patients attest to this, the system is the other way around, insurance dictates (80% of the time) what you can do OR you're pressured to just spend more time with typing infront of a computer than see the person infront of you. That's American medicine right there. I spread myself too thin all these years by not being like this, and end up taking home most of my work if allowed, and that has caused burn out.

I am not being political or anything. Matter of fact I hate anything that has to do with it. I'm just a guy pondering on what's best for me and for my family at the moment.

What interests me: being some sort of educator (about what I don't know yet), or maybe getting myself into investing (which is a cutthroat field in itself I'm sure), learn how to run a business (a mentor would be awesome), anything that has to do with design (looking into learning basic code...) and aesthetics (interior design or organization). Cars, of course (detailing, doing basic work on them)! Lots of ideas, but the biggest hurdle is having the balls to take the plunge to the unknown.

I always tell my wife, if this immigration to the US doesn't work out, we can always go back home (albeit as foreigners in our own land now) and do something there. Hopefully by that time our son can hold his own and go make a difference with his talents/traits. In my eyes, America has something for everyone, you just have to have that passion and the initiative to follow through with it.

Wow that was a mouthful.
Tangent: I've heard immigrants say this fairly often, im an immigrant myself, but i don't think people have comprehensively considered whether this is possible and would keep you happy. It might be a comforting thought at first, but im betting reality is nowhere near comforting.

You might look into healthcare management, or as you say get out entirely. I was in a similar rut and went back to school. Changed my life for the better almost immediately.