rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Right now is the perfect time to get into a trade, mainly because many of them are overlooked by high schools. When I graduated from high school in 2008, our counselors showed us all of the options including colleges, trade schools, starting a business, etc. I ended up going to college and getting a 4 year degree.

My younger sister graduated high school in 2016. Her counselors basically told her that everyone needs to go to a big name college and get at least a 4 year degree or higher to even get a job. Trades weren't even mentioned. This is why a lot of high school grads are going to college getting 4 year History degrees not knowing what they want to do.

A friend of mine went to a technical college program for IT work. He got a few certifications, and I think it was a 1.5 or 2 year program. He now makes $80,000 and works from home supporting IT for a healthcare company.

If I were to start over tomorrow I would go to a trade school and get some certifications for network communications. There is a big demand for network and infrastructure engineers.
Million times this.

lawyer, doctor, senior engineer then go to uni but otherwise, a complete waste right now IMHO.
Uh no. Finance, business management, accountancy, health care, engineering, marketing/hr, scientific research, academia. Pretty much any top level career you will need a degree and likely graduate school. The trade school argument is prevalent but imo pretty ridiculous unless you are fine maxing out at 80k. Do you want to work for the man or run the joint? And before someone chimes in with an anecdotal story of a friend who dropped out and makes millions, those are the exceptions not the norm or to be expected.
Appreciate 2