03-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #118
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
You said you won't buy a EV until it was proven not to have EMF.... That statement (as well as some others) make no sense. Well your current car has a battery too; are you afraid of it? Does high current that drives EV motors bother you? MRIs use high current (super high in fact, and that's why I used it as an extreme example). What do you think about electricians who work in power plants all day? I still don't understand your beef against electricity.
I can't believe that I am reading this. You are trying to impose a certain level of knowledge, yet you are comparing different things?
Same as EMF versus MRI.

My small battery bothers me but doesn't bother me.
- A 12V small battery that is used just to start the vehicle can not be compared with a huge battery that you sit on. Are you kidding?
- Firstly they are very different in terms of composition and secondly, even if they were the same, the emissions between the two are kind of like a cigarette passive smoke versus fire smoke. Not even.
- The starter battery is not used to run an electric engine -> no field
- A bigger pack of batteries for Ev needs a special design. Please look at the first Electric vehicles or hybrid and you might see the vent openings and the fans mounted for ventilation. The new vehicles design conceive everything from your eyesight
- Anyway, ideal is that the battery is placed in an open space (engine bay) but BMW and some other manufacturers placed the starter battery in the trunk just to achieve the 50-50 weight ratio that improves the chassis, recte the improved balance and handling. Like Citroen used to put the spare tire on left and battery on the right.
- there is not big of a concern for a small starter battery if is place in the cabin space (trunk), however, you can always replace it with a dry one.
- no need Google, just read on the battery label that tells you a lot about content, warnings and charging requirements. Now keep in mind that batteries get a charge while driving.

Tesla battery Pack System
"A thermal management system is provided that minimizes the effects of thermal runaway within a battery pack. The system is comprised of a sealed battery pack enclosure configured to hold a plurality of batteries, where the battery pack enclosure is divided into a plurality of sealed battery pack compartments. The system also includes a plurality of battery venting assemblies, where at least one battery venting assembly is integrated into each of the sealed battery pack compartments, and where each of the battery venting assemblies includes an exhaust port integrated into an outer wall of the battery pack compartment and a valve, the valve being configured to seal the exhaust port under normal operating conditions and to unseal the exhaust port when at least one of the batteries within the battery pack compartment enters into thermal runaway."

"The main object is to provide a high-reliability battery pack that is capable of exhausting the gas even when the quantity of the gas released from the cell is small, and to provide a vehicle with the battery pack which can improve the reliability. A battery pack has a battery module unit that is formed from a plurality of arranged battery modules, each of which has a plurality of cells in a case, a cooling air flow passage where a cooling air flow flows, and a gas exhaust duct which forms a gas exhaust passage. The gas exhaust duct extends in an arrangement direction of the plurality of the battery modules while being contiguous to the battery module unit, and takes in the gas released in the case from the cell, then exhausts the gas from the battery module. The gas exhaust duct is provided with a gas inlet for taking in the gas, which communicates with a gas emission hole formed on a surface of the case, and an air intake that serves to take in the cooling air flow."
Now, are you sure you are comparing my starter battery with a whole EV pack?

Anyway, you deviated again from EMF which is A WHOLE OTHER ISSUE, but I went along to give you some information. My initial point was that leaving aside the toxicity and other issues, you are sitting all that period on the top of an EMF field.

As a side note, I have an academic education in the field. What you as a user know (or they want you to know) is different than what you know or need to know as an engineer behind the scenes. You might like the hot dogs; but the guy who makes them never eats them.
And to answer to your question, engineers and technicians that work in these fields are included in a special work hazard niche. Guess why? In Europe, these occupations are categorized under a special occupational hazard category and they receive a supplementary payment in salary and pension plans for that. In some European countries, there are also certain rules that forbid to be in the field more than a certain period of time. Again, do you know why?

Please compare your north American 'in parameters" "safe" standards with the European ones and ask yourself after why in Europe the regulated accepted levels are in some areas even a thousand times less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
I honestly was trying to educate you. ...
Not all radiation is bad (Vitamin D synthesis, some of it promotes healing and skin formation, radiation therapy actually helps people, some radiation is harmless such as visible light.....

Everyone knows that smoking is dangerous. There's scientific proof. Open up a smoker's lung. There's no evidence that MRIs are harmful.

Again, I hope you learned a few things. That's all life is about. The pursuit of knowledge. I agree to disagree as well.
It is funny that you are complaining about my behavior, yet you have a very arrogant and condescending post. You are trying to "educate" me.
No thank you, I got my education in a perfect academic environment, where we learn things as they are.

My point was that nothing in excess is good; is one thing to have a small battery that is used solely to start a vehicle and that's it, and is a different thing to sit on a huge chemical plant that drives four motors that also produce fields. Cell phone is harmless too (not really) but using it non-stop or living by a cell tower is a different story. But some are ok; their choice.

Again, your comments are all over the place and nobody asked you anything about the good radiation. What are you trying to prove with this common knowledge? All natural processes like vitamin D synthesis, are harmless because this is the environment our body has been conceived in and developed since the beginning. It is natural, we developed end evolved in time based on our environment. There are species that can thrive in every environment.

Anyway, you are always deviating all over the place, from EMF, to MRI, to high current and to power plants, plus you have a very hypocritical way of addressing your perception while adopting a condescending attitude towards the other and for this reason I will do my best to avoid you in the future.
Appreciate 0