08-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
So if I get an Iphone 6 is there a snap in adapter coming for it in the near future?
If I get a Samsung Galaxy S5 or S6 (future) will the universal snap in adapter work?

I am trying assess if the $500 option (cell phone dock etc...) is worth adding to my order or is the compatibility adapter release so painfully slow that I should pass.

Thanks
Unfortunately, there's no guarantees. I can't speak to the Samsung products, but with regards to the iPhone, BMW may choose not to produce an adapter. I bought my last X5 at the end of Sept 2011, just before the iPhone 4s came out. At that time, the only adapter they had was for the 3G/3GS. They did come out with one that worked for the 4/4s in mid-2012, towards the end of Q2, I think.

When the 5 came out, they never produced an adapter that worked in my cradle. They did eventually come out with one that works for the 5/5s in the current X5, but it is at BMW's discretion as to when they produce it or even if. My guess is they will create an adapter for the upcoming iPhone 6, but it will likely be about 6 months before it is available. Assuming Apple doesn't do some kind of generational change between the 6 and "6s", then that adapter may still work for next year's model, also. Again, no guarantees.