View Single Post
      09-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #297
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbry View Post
I appreciate all of the responses. I'm going to have an extremely strong worded conversation with the service manager tomorrow about their BS theory and after market oil filter. I'm also waiting to hear back from BMW of NA.
I will request pictures of everything and also a forensics of the error codes.
I will keep you posted. Thank you all again.
I think everyone of us as BMW owners should be concerned about their BS if the try to weasel their way out of this.
IMO this can go two ways:
Solidify a BMW customer for life, or create a very loud enemy. As a business owner, the return on a goodwill gesture by fixing an obvious flawed engine will pay back in spades.
Without reading all 14 pages of this I wanted to share my experience albeit on a much lower level. My E88 had a failed fuel injector flag on a CEL and MHD confirmed it. I was able to find a recall TSB for them. I self diagnosed the injector by swapping things around (coils, plugs etc) and isolated the faulty injector. Then I took it to a dealer, TSB in hand and told them that injector 4 was faulty. They insisted on diagnosing it themselves (for $150 of course) and confirmed that injector 4 was faulty.....yeah, thanks...

When I handed them the TSB they looked up some vehicle history and told me that the recall had already been performed (some years prior) on one of the other injectors that had failed previously and as such the recall was "closed"
What utter BS.

I proceeded to call BMW NA and that whole process was a complete joke. Numerous left messages, non returned calls, then the "person that is dealing with your claim is on vacation" - the usual nonsense.
Anyway, the bottom line....they refused to pay for it.
They then quoted $3500 for six new index 12 injectors but graciously told me they would forgo the $150 diagnostic fee if I let them replace the injectors....
Wasn't that nice of them.

I was able to buy a recognitioned injector on ebay for $100 and despite it not being the same index number as the others.....4 years later and no issues.

BMW service, in my opinion, is almost non existent after the sale.

Now I will read the rest of this horror story and whilst I do I really hope this ended well....that whole filter thing is a complete dodge of responsibility on their part but I am not surprised given my experience over a $600 (new) injector....

Edit, I now see that this ended well with a new engine...unless the next few pages detailed a further catastrophic as$hole stealership failure.

All of this reminded me of Mazda.
In 2004 my wife and I bought new Mazdas, hers was a CX7 and mine was a Mazdaspeed6.

About 5 years in her engine failed, semi catastrophically. You could hear the timing chain slap lol.
Around the same time my engine started using more oil than it should.
Anyway, we towed her CX7 to the dealer and they diagnosed that there was oil starvation caused by the turbos burning oil in between oil changes....they knew, we didn't.
Fast forward a few days and they quoted $11K to replace the engine with a used one. I was overseas at the time, working, but was able to get on a call with them at midnight my time (I was in HK) and essentially tell them that they were aware of turbo seal problems and that no bulletin was ever sent to owner so therefore they could go F themselves.

There was a lot of back and forth but they ultimately agreed to do it for nothing.

Moving on, my MS6 was now using a quart of oil every 200 miles but I was monitoring it almost daily.
A rebuilt turbo from a forum such as this was $500 including core and the dealer wanted $4800 for a new one (K04).

I again presented them with my case about the oil starvation and turbo seals and they replaced it for nothing, not without quite a lot of persuasion. I was able to lean on the fact that they had already replaced my wife's engine and that I could have just as easily driven my MS6 until the oil ran out (between changes) and blown my engine as well.

They backed off and did it for nothing.

Bottom line I guess is that all dealers have their shi#housery.

Last edited by Mandinca; 09-20-2023 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry403.00