View Single Post
      09-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #300
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Rather than try to understand the ins and outs of oil viscosity etc, is there a TLDR for which oil my 2016 F85 with 63000 miles should have ?
I bought a 48K, 4 year extended warranty from the BMW dealer I bought the car from 4 months ago.

Also, is there a website where I can find the exact recommended service list by miles etc so I can check that my warranty isn't worth dick if and when the engine fails ?

Thanks
Most warranties are going to stipulate that "the vehicle must be maintained per manufacturer recommendations", which basically leaves you with only one option: a LL-01 FE oil. Motul Specific 5W-30 is probably the best of the LL-01 FE oils; Liquimoly also makes one that is fine. I don't want to run FE oil, but you can bet your ass if this thing pops a motor, they're going to go through maintenance logs with a fine toothed comb to find any reason not to pay out $20k+ on a new engine.

Outside of warranty, any LL-01 oil is fine and I'd probably go 5W-40.

Do you have the maintenance booklet that came in the owners manual folio? Most maintenance is based off CBS; I remember spark plugs are needed every 30K, but I cannot remember the other mileage based maintenance items.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged
Appreciate 0