04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #28
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
As are the Corvettes -- which refines my fundamental and original point, as noted by yourself above: It's access to a high-demand item that not every person should have access to. In both of these cases, it's a high-performance vehicle that a dealer assumes a relatively high physical and monetary risk to allow someone to operate before purchase. It's perfectly reasonable, IMHO, for a dealer to restrict operational access to these only to those who are seriously considering one and who demonstrate that they are seriously considering one. That burden is on the potential purchaser, not the dealer.
First of all, I think we are making the demand for these seem higher than what it is...unless high-demand = collecting dust in showrooms. Second of all, I don't know about you but I don't buy clothes before trying them on.

Now, I understand what you're saying, why sell a Raptor to Joe Shmoe for $65K when Rick Dumbass is willing to pay $90K for it...I have nothing against that. If a dealer is willing to sit on a vehicle for 6 months before Rick comes along, it's their prerogative.

My point is, guy didn't show up in a Dodge Dart to try to test drive a Raptor or GT350. He showed up in an M4, which is worth more used than that Raptor before markups. My point is, if one shitty salesman decides that someone shouldn't have access to a vehicle based on their appearance, than that is one shitty salesman.

I will back you up on this, however. I will not even attempt to test drive a used vehicle without having my trade-in there with me knowing they are going to want to appraise it and do a deal sheet. So I do agree with you there. One shouldn't just assume the salesman can read minds. I'm also straight forward, here's is what I have, here is what I want...if you cannot provide me with what I need, someone else can and will...
Appreciate 0