07-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Someone told me this when I got my first BMW, (I'm paraphrasing but this was the gist), you simply can't ask for a racecar and expect it to be as reliable as an economy car. This is obviously a bit exaggerated on both ends, most BMW's aren't racecars and a Lexus isn't an economy car. But the point remains the same and it's this simple: "you have to pay to play." Yes, a BMW is not as reliable as a microwave, a refrigerator, a Honda, or a Lexus. But, most are surely more fun to drive. And BMW's are also not exactly unreliable, they're just not the MOST reliable.
Yes Lexus are reliable but, in common with most modern cars, when things go wrong they tend to go wrong in a BIG way.

For example, about 6 months ago, my RX had an electric motor failure. I was turning off a road and went to go and had no go just a grinding noise instead. Fortunately for me I was able to get off the road into my car park at work so no harm done but it would have been a different matter if the electric motor had quit while on the motorway at speed.

In total it required about £3000 worth of parts, about £2000 worth of labour and 4 weeks to fix. It had a whole new transaxle assembly, which meant the engine had to be removed, and various other drivetrain components like bearings replaced which surprised me on a 3 1/2 year old fully serviced vehicle with only 52k miles on the clock.

Fortunately for me it was a fully maintained contract hire vehicle so was repaired at no cost to me.

Now this is probably a one off, but a very expensive one off, but all cars as they get more and more complex run the risk of ever more expensive failures.
Appreciate 0