02-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
That's a question I've asked as well. My '09 Jetta TDI had an electric cabin heater (~1KW as I recall) to address the diesels relatively long time to warm up. It was quite effective, producing usable heat faster than any of the gasoline fueled cars we owned while I had the TDI.

Next came a '13 328xi which took a really long time to move the temp gauge needle compared to previous (non-BMW) gasoline cars we'd had because it indicates oil temperature vs. water temperature (and oil temp lags water temp).

Then our '14 X5 35d, which also indicates oil temperature (vs. water) and it not only warms up considerably faster than our 328xi did, but much faster than that '09 TDI (which indicated water temp, not oil).

So how do they do that?
diesel engines are high compression compared to gas, to an extent they don'teven have spark plugs, the diesel catches fire at high pressure in the chamber, thus the reason for crazy low rpm torque and quickly heating up, also explains the "knock" sound and why they are not quiet like gasoline
Appreciate 0