View Single Post
      07-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #181
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Interesting, but these motors won't produce 40psi of boost. In fact, according to the US and German tech support and engineer I spoke to today, the tune adds only .3 bar (4.3 psi) boost.

The tune it seems, only modifies three parameters going into the ECU: fuel pressure, fuel timing and boost. Depending on the input of these three parameters (the speed of your right foot mostly, plus intake temp, oil temp, speed, throttle position, etc), the chip produces an output to the ECU using a proprietary algorithm. Everything else is BMW - start, warm up, decel, idle, etc.

From the factory, the tune is generally set to 20% increase over stock. It's up to you to fine tune to get to 30%. The reason they say "generally set to 20%" is because nearly every motor is different - temp, altitude, fuel quality, etc - so they will not give a firm number like 306 hp.

Additionally, I was told the tune is made for daily drivability and not track performance. Therefore, they focused on torque and not HP. Therefore, 0 - 60 mph will really improve, but sustained high speed or towing will improve a bit but at a cost in terms of increased heat - wear and tear on the motor. However, high speed will have to be well over 100mph sustained to be a problem. For towing, I would remove the tune.

I get my chip tomorrow.
Nice write up, man! I'm eager to see your results/thoughts. My RaceChip TB Ultimate for F15 X5 5.0i comes Thursday. Everyone says to set it to the E/2 (highest) setting. I'm really curious if it will pull off the 507hp.