View Single Post
      01-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #5
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The auto wipe feature regulates the need for wiping based on the amount of precipitation on the windshield. If you use the lever to turn on the wipers...then they wipe at a constant speed regardless of the amount of precipitation on the windshield. Thus getting dry swipes if the rain is sparse...or the driver needing to adjust the wipe frequency based on speed of travel and amount of precipitation.

Again, the auto wipe feature allows you to press a single button on the end of the stalk (when needed) and the wipe frequency & speed will automatically adjust without intervention from the driver.

If the system did not turn itself off when the engine was cut off...then as mentioned above, you could get damage from unexpected wiping...especially for those that use a car wash.

You asked are you missing something...my first thoughts would be...unintended consequences of auto wipers always being active...with the net result being the driver having to TURN OFF the system if it was activated but not needed. The inverse is less prone to damage and how most drivers probably use the feature. Most would rather turn it on (when needed) versus having to turn it off (if it activated) and was not needed.
Thanks for the explanation. I think I misunderstood the purpose.
Appreciate 0