View Single Post
      07-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #177
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
However, if temps rise (oil, water, exhaust), and fuel consumption increases (in normal driving), all we can infer is that more stress is being put on the engine. We do not know the normal operating limits of the engine.
If these things don't rise, then this box has discovered perpetual energy. I see the claims of fuel reduction on these tunes and view that as "only in lab conditions". Sure, if you drive the car normally without the tune then, install the tune and drive it like a hypermiler, you might see fuel consumption benefits. But, HP is made from fuel, simple as that. If you add HP, you have to add fuel to the cylinder; unless, by some incredible manufacturing bumble, BMW made the stock tune on these engines result in very incomplete combustion (about as likely as the Hindenburg flying over my house, IMHO).

Oil and exhaust temps, same thing. They have to rise (especially exhaust). It's all a question of "can the stock cooling component dissipate the additional heat without modification" not "will there be more heat". There better be more heat!

I'm very curious of your findings as well. I'm pretty sure the tune will produce more HP (perhaps not as much as claimed). What I'm more interested is are other parts operating outside of parameters. Sure, part XYZ is hotter, but, if "hotter" is still well below failure range at max HP/torque, I'm not sure I care if it runs hotter.
Appreciate 0