07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #42
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
No. You don't understand me correctly.
If you change the fan speed, the hvac system is no longer in automatic mode. In automatic mode, you set the temp that you want and it goes there automatically and maintains that temperature automatically by varying the fan speed. If you manually pick a fan speed, it is no longer in auto and it will continue to run at that fan speed regardless of the temp setting you have chosen. Generally, if it's been parked in the sun, when you first start it, it will be hot inside. If you have it set to 70 degrees, and it's in auto mode, when you start it, the fan will run pretty high and as the temp gets closer to 70, the fan speed lowers itself automatically and will try to maintain a temp of 70.
The high, medium, and low settings I am refering to (that you can cycle through by pushing the auto button repeatedly) adjust the aggressiveness with which the system will automatically seek the chosen temperature. The end result of a high setting vs. a low setting, is that the fan will run at a higher rate when you first start the car than it would have if you were set at low, but since it is still in auto mode, the fan will still eventually run at a lower setting as the temp comes down. It just gets there faster.
I've yet to try the different high, medium, and low modes for the auto setting...I didn't know it existed. Small revision to your above comment...you CAN change the fan speed in auto mode, but it narrows the window to 5 settings. I've typically kept it on 2 or 3, seems to work great. That said, on really warm days...turning it up to 4 or 5 will allow the car to cool more quickly.
Appreciate 0