08-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #17
oojnah
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Stumbled across your post and noticed you mentioned "tailgate rattle".

I have also had this "rattle/creaking" on my 2015 X5 35 and when I took it in to the dealer the technician immediately knew what the issue was. He went and got a torx wrench and started adjusting a torx screw in the tailgate. I couldn't see exactly what he was doing but when I got back in the car, there was no more rattle and no more creaking. He said they discovered this common problem with the previous X5 (e70) and it still happens in the F15.

Unfortunately, two weeks later, the rattle/creaking came back, albeit not as bad as before, so I scanned the web and found the following from a guy with an older X5 (e70 or maybe e53) that seemed to be very similar to what the technician was working on on my F15.

So I am copying a post from another site (BH-if that's not ok then feel free to take it down) but the gist is that there's a 1" diameter, circular rubber bumper with a Torx screw in the center, on each side of the tailgate. By adjusting the torx screw and the rubber bumper, this owner was able to eliminate the rattle/creaking.

"I'll try to get pics later. In the meantime, if you open the hatch, you will see a small round bumper on each side of the opening. It's about 1"diameter with a torx screw in the middle. Loosen the screw and turn the rubber bumper clockwise until it bottoms out and you hear a ratcheting sound. then retighten the torx screw. This allows the tailgate latch mechanism, which is "V" shaped to fully seat in the lower hatch and prevent side movement which causes the rattle. I haven't had any more problem since i made the adjustment a few weeks ago."

Am going to try it myself tonight. Worth a shot if you have a torx screwdriver handy and are willing to try to make an adjustment yourself.

Hopefully this can cross one of the problems off your list.

Good luck.
Thank you for the detailed information.
I haven't look at my tale gate closely but I am appreciated if I can see any photo.

Last edited by oojnah; 08-25-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0