View Single Post
      08-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #14
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

I appreciate everyone's responses...even the snarky ones. Look - I will always have a fondness for BMW. My wedding car was a beautiful classic BMW. I have owned a 5 series and an X3. I really enjoyed the X3. It had 102k miles on it when some jerk who was texting rear ended me on the highway outside Boston. I had zero problems with that for the most part AND it had original brake pads!!!

I got caught with the dealer (also the body shop) in picking out an X5 I probably didn't need or like just to get a great deal. It was a great deal by the way. The trade in value was thousands above what I thought the car was worth and they threw in USAA, loyalty cash, employee purchase agreements, etc...and stacked everything.

So, instead of getting a model that matched my requirements, I decided to get some options like the nappa leather that I normally would have passed on.

Yes - I did visit the service department a few times for the wind noise, the wipers also never cleaned the right upper half of the windshield correctly (known issue). The CarPlay inconsistencies were just astonishing (another known issue) and there was no upgrade available. I thought to myself - yes the driving is good but the X5 just felt too big to me and heavy. I also thought that for 2017 and a highly optioned car that the tech would "just work" instead of me trying to figure out the issues. The AC however was the last straw.

While I know many don't have the issue, the dealer also validated that many do complain about it. The issue isn't temp. It's airflow. Unless the rear controls are off, the airflow isn't great. Also, I don't know but in NH, we haven't had a hot summer. The interior on this car was always hot! I mean...I sweated in the car even with the ventilated seats. It was uncomfortable and I drive a ton for work...almost 30K per year. That and the smell really turned me off.

I picked up my 18 allroad from Audi yesterday. Yes it's smaller. Bigger than a 3er wagon though. The tech is amazing and worked out of the dealer. No issues. Very intuitive. The quietness of the cabin is night and day vs. the X5. I cannot stress this enough. It is whisper quiet. Finally, the AC is nice, cold, and blows hard. I'm happy with this result. I have 3-5 yrs here and I'll see what BMW comes out with!

This forum is very helpful!!!
Appreciate 0