08-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #217
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked already. It seems some people are concerned with whether the engine is designed to handle the additional power this chip will give. What about the transmission ?
I ask because it seems there are a few different variant of the ZF 8 speed transmission, each designed to handle different levels of HP and torque. For example I would think the transmission in the M50D is not the same as the one in the 35D . Even though they're both ZF 8 spd . I would imagine the ones rated for higher HP would be more expensive than the ones rated for less. Why would BMW pay more for a transmission if they didn't have to ? So what does the increased torque do to the 35D transmission over long term ? Anyone has insights ?
That's going through operational evaluation as we speak, sponsored by all of the people here who were willing to install this device. In other words, no one knows, and unless someone has designed a test plan with a method to collect data from the people using the device I don't guess we'll ever know. The concerns are rather obvious, but the Diesel needed to come from BMW with 300hp. It falls on its face after the initial jump due to its anemic 255hp.
Appreciate 0