bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
So they got it right for 3 or 4 months, then wrong for 3, then fixed it again? Anyone else confused as to why it wouldn't affect cars built from the start of production through March 10, 2014 instead of only from 12/12/2013..? Mine was built before the issue, so I guess I'm lucky. I'll check them anyway..
Here's your answer:

"The rear side door lock mechanisms may not have been manufactured to correct tolerances "

It's a manufacturing tolerance issue, which can happen for a myriad of reasons. I worked for an aircraft manufacturer for a while. Usually, tolerance issues are due to incorrect use/manufacture of tooling or jigs. You get a new guy on the line, and they do something incorrect that no one catches because it doesn't affect normal use, or the issue is intermittent/inconsistent. Or you get a new tool, and it's not made to specifications because someone screwed up a CAD/CAM drawing.

Given the nature of door lock mechanisms, it's probable that this issue doesn't affect 100% of the cars (specified by the time range) 100% of the time. Hypothetically, there's some little cog in there that has to block some other little cog, and sometimes, if you don't engage the child safety just right, the one cog doesn't block the other cog, and bam! Safety recall.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0